Saturday, August 10, 2013

Welcome to Chicago!

Live from lovely Roscoe Village in Chicago, I bring you…well, me.

And I’m not even sure if I’m really technically located in Roscoe, but more on that later.

Finally, after a year of essays and applications and nagging various wonderful people in my life for recommendations and donations, I can officially call myself a Jesuit Volunteer. More specifically, I can call myself a Jesuit Volunteer of the Chicago-Bernardin Community. In reality, I just call myself a JV. 

Or Kristen. I’ve been known to go by that too.

Oddly enough, moving into a strange apartment in a new city with four other [wonderful, marvelous, beautiful, intelligent, socially conscious, etc. *] girls I only kind of know was a relief after the last week I had. Before any JV can go save the world, they have to be orientated. So early Sunday (Aug. 4), I shipped out of LGA on a flight that would end up in Morgantown, Indiana. After four years of flying from St. Louis to New York, I had evidently racked up enough miles to travel to orientation in first class.

The irony of beginning my year of simple living in first class is not lost on me. But I got a free bowl of oatmeal out of it, so I won’t judge myself too harshly.

Once I landed in Indianapolis International Airport, I found myself with some time to kill. The JV staffers had sent those flying to Indiana an email stating we wouldn’t get picked up until about 3 p.m. that day, so I settled down with my suitcase and sleeping bag in some isolated corner of the terminal and prepared myself to sit quietly until it was time to go.

Almost immediately, a girl came up to me and excitedly asked if I was a JV. Startled, I didn’t have a chance to come up with a compelling lie, so I truthfully acknowledged that I was.

“Great! There’s a bunch of us sitting over there!”

Moments later, I was in the midst of a group of about thirty 20-somethings, all equipped with pillows and backpacks. I shook everyone’s hand, but remembered no one’s name. Off to a good start, I felt.

At three o’clock, we all were introduced to a JV staffer by the name of Maggie. Maggie directed the lot of us to a big old bus and we were off to our retreat site.

I was genuinely impressed with how far out in the middle of nowhere this place was. I know I tend to be judgey of any location where one has to drive more than ten minutes to find a grocery store, but my judgment was more than justified in the case of Waycross retreat center.  As we trekked further and further away from civilization and most human contact, I found myself wondering A.) Who in their right mind comes out here? And B.) Who was the crazy person who came out here and was like, “This would be a stellar place to build some cabins and a church!”

I think I was probably just salty that there was zero cell service. Not that that ended up mattering in the slightest, because one of the first things that happened when we got off the bus was that the JV staff took our cell phones.

Boo. [Author’s note: Being cell phone free allows one to be present to themselves and others while on retreat. It’s actually a good place to be and I get that. But I also wanted to be able to check the weather periodically and tweet the stupid things I think.]

To provide a detailed explanation of everything that happened at orientation would require a better attention span than the one I have been blessed with, so get excited for some cliff notes:

 -I’m covered in mosquito bites.

- Eating vegetarian for a week was awesome. Being served fish sticks in a pita pocket, however, is confusing for both carnivores and veggies alike.

-I am bad at both following directions and dancing in a way that doesn’t make me look like the world’s biggest spazz. Contra dancing involves both of these things. It was awesome regardless.

- I’m that kid that loses her folder with all the incredibly important orientation papers on the very first day of retreat. I’m also that kid who finds her folder in her backpack (where she put it on the first day of retreat) two days later and has to sheepishly tell everyone they can stop looking for it.

-JVC is convinced my name is Kristin. Fortunately, that is how my name is pronounced, so there was minimal confusion.

-There is no issue in the House of Representatives, United States Senate, SCOTUS or the United Nations that is as difficult to solve as trying to pick the kind of milk that your community will buy.

- The four values of JVC are Spirituality, Simple Living, Community and Social Justice. When you draw these out as symbols, they become Fish, Bread, House, Bird. So if anyone asks, FishBreadHouseBird is the core of JVC.^

-Being “intentional” about literally everything you do is crucial. I’m intentionally blogging right this second. I’m already really good at being a JV, therefore.

-Just because the coffee is free does not mean it is socially acceptable to drink seven cups before noon.

-This year is going to be stellar.

I think that sums up my last week quite nicely. But in truth, Orientation was a great way to ease into what this next year is going to be. I actually need the chance to focus my attention on the months ahead, and the time at Waycross allowed me to do that. On the off chance that anyone who orchestrated that retreat reads this blog, I want to say thanks for the wonderful time.

But now I’m in the apartment I’ll be residing in for the next twelve months. It’s pretty excellent. A little dirty and a little cluttered from the years of JV’s before us, but it’s also giant and super comfy. I was pretty nervous JVC would place me in a cardboard box down by the Chicago River, so this place is definitely a vastly better option.

The only thing that bugs me is the basement where we do our laundry. It reminds me vaguely of the basement from The Conjuring, so if I neglect to update this blog in the next week or so, just assume I got offed by a demonic witch ghost and know that I probably considered you to be a dear friend.

In the coming days, we’ll be touring and learning cool things about Chicago. The area I’m in now is actually pretty nice and residential. Google maps tells me that I live in Roscoe Village, but we were warned that this is a point of debate. Still being green in the ways of Chicago neighborhoods, I’m sure I’ll eventually come to understand why this is such a point of contention, but for now I think it will suffice to say that I kind of live in Roscoe.

I start work at the Elam Davies Social Service Center on Wednesday. I’m pretty pumped and certainly unsure of what to expect. So that’ll be something to look forward to if you follow this blog.

Here’s the link to my Send Me to Serve page. JVC is still taking donations (hint hint, wink wink), but it’ll also be a good introduction as to my motivations for becoming a JV and a bit about my placement, assuming you aren’t an expert on the subject of me already:


That’s all for now. Thanks for taking an interest in my adventures. Leave a comment or something.

I’ve never been much of a blogger, so I don’t know how to end this post…

AMDG?

How bout just bye. Okay, bye.

*Just in case any of my housemates decide to read my blog. Hey ladies J.**

**The ladies I live with are truly all those adjectives, though. I promise I’m not just trying to get on their good side.***

***Though if this gets me on their good side, I’m not going to complain J.


^Credit for FishBreadHouseBird as a phrase goes to the marvelous Anna Bninski

No comments:

Post a Comment