Sunday, August 18, 2013

Employment makes not having to work that much more exciting (and other things from my second week)



It’s the weekend! Yeeeeaaaaaaaah boi (XOXO smiley face chyea. Or something to that effect).

Now that I am an employed human being, I can get unreasonably excited about the weekend, where as before, I was just reasonably excited about the weekend.

That’s right: I wrapped up my first (semi)week on the job. My placement started this Wednesday, but we’ve been rolling since about 6 a.m. on Monday. Monday and Tuesday my housemates and I were bouncing all over the Chicago area to visit each other’s worksites. But before we could set off into the work force, we participated in an age-old tradition: a ceremony that has been passed down from JV to JV, from Catholic to Catholic, from Jesus Christ himself even…

We went to Church.

I mean, it makes sense that as a group of volunteers participating in a faith-based organization that we would make a point to go to Mass on Sunday, but anyone who knows my church-going history probably knows that this was a big deal for me. That’s because my church going history isn’t much of a history. I’ve got more of a church-going tweet going on.

I cannot tell you the last time I intentionally walked into a church for the purpose of sitting for a service. According to Foursquare, the last time I checked into a church building was a year ago (Foursquare can be a little judgmental like that). The Catholic Mass has a tendency to make me uncomfortable, but I feel like its something easy I can do to live the value of Spirituality (the Fish in FishBreadHouseBird). I give myself an A for effort.

What I keep forgetting, however, is that Catholic Mass moved on without me. I haven’t been to church since the mass changes, so I still have the responses from the first half of my life memorized. I find that being super lost during mass doesn’t necessarily detract from the experience of prayer and worship, but it is a tiny bit awkward when I’m trying to tell the priest that I want the Lord to be with him also and everyone else in the building wants the Lord to be with his spirit.

It wasn’t a bad time, though. The Chicago Bernardin community (that’s my house, by the way) met up with the Chicago Tolton community (that’s the other house in Chicago. There are two. You can probably guess which community is the cool community…) so it was a big old Mass party. We also got to meet some former JVs who live in the area. JVC is pretty neat that way. Not only are there a bunch of past volunteers who live in Chicago, but also most of them remember how much it sucks to be living on such a tiny stipend, so they are eager to do nice things for the current volunteers. In fact, we had a former JV bring us dinner on our first night in Chicago. Pretty awesome. 

On Monday, JVC had set us up so could visit three of the four placements my house is working at. While seeing where my housemates will be working was neat, the day was really an exercise in navigating the Chicago public transportation system. Thanks to some nifty GPS navigation skills by my housemate, Trish, I’d say the day was successful. We were only lost for a very short period of time.

We visited my worksite first. I didn’t really look up much information about where I would be working, save for checking out their website a bit. So you can imagine my surprise when our trip took us downtown to Michigan Ave. to what is essentially the most metropolitan area of Chicago. The church I’m working in is across the street from the John Hancock building, which I incorrectly assumed was the Sears Tower upon seeing it, and caddy corner to the American Girl Doll store. Every store I could think of is in walking distance from where I am and the avenue is lined with skyscrapers. I was elated. I knew I was going to be working in a city, but I didn’t think I would be in the city.

Though I’m working with an organization that is housed by Fourth Presbyterian church, my actual office is in the basement of this modern looking building that has nifty things like a receptionist and security guards. My housemates and I were met by my coworker, Abby, a fast talking girl from Kentucky. We had allotted about three hours for the visit, but Abby got us through the tour and out of the building in about 20 minutes, which was fine because it gave us a chance to explore Michigan Ave some more.

For those who are deathly curious what my job actually entails, I’m pretty much an active secretary. I help guests set up appointments for Service Center’s food pantry and clothing closet, call people to remind them when they have appointments, and process lots and lots of paper work. My boss, a lovely fellow named Dan, told me that the Center just received a grant to digitize all the paper files we have, and despite being the new kid, I’m so pumped. So much of my time is spent digging through the Center’s ancient file cabinet for folders and flipping through stacks of paper that the thought of being able to do the work digitally already seems like a godsend. I can’t wait until they get started.

We spent the rest of Monday roaming the Chicago streets, visiting two other worksites and complaining about how much our feet hurt from walking (okay, that was just me). We also invited Chicago Tolton down south for a community dinner. I really enjoy that we have two communities in Chicago. It’s sort of like we came to the city with nine automatic friends. We’ll see how long it takes us to get sick of each other.

Tuesday was more of the same, except we only had one placement to visit and had the rest of the day off. It was the first down time we had really had since orientation, so that was nice. My roommate Anna and I took a little trip to the dollar store to get some craft supplies for future crafting activities, but that was really all that happened that day. Which was good, because the next day was…
* Insert frightening crash of thunder and some lightening *

THE FIRST DAY OF WORK.

Actually, the first day wasn’t bad. It was a lot of learning to do things and asking what I’m sure were stupid questions. I got to interact with some guests on my first day and set up my voicemail, which I made way more complicated than it needed to be. Despite being in an office like setting, my job is pretty hectic. It’s a lot of running back and forth, answering calls and getting things for people. While it can be stressful at times, it makes the time go by quickly.

On Friday, I sat down at my desk to find an email from Dan telling me that I was going to do outreach that afternoon with some Northwestern medical students. After asking him what that meant exactly, I was introduced to Warren and Q, two members of the Good Neighbors outreach team. They were both Northwestern kids and they were nice enough to ask if I was a Northwestern grad student as well. I laughed and told them Northwestern was a school for smart people, so no, I was not a grad student there. I tried explaining that I was a JV and what that meant exactly, but all I could manage were statements like, “Oh, well, I like Jesus, so I moved into a house with a bunch of people I don’t know so I could come work with homeless people in this basement everyday. What? No, I’m not getting paid…”

Despite the disconnect in our life trajectories, Warren and Q were awesome, especially once we got out onto the street. With the Social Service Center, outreach means we walk up and down Michigan Ave. and talk to people we see just hanging out on the sidewalks with signs or change cups. We’ll ask them their name, if they’re in this area often, and find out if they need some food or anything and do our best to send them off with some granola bars or toiletries. We’re encouraged, however, to let the people we meet do most of the talking. Most of the time, the people we found we eager to tell us their story and occasionally lament their situation. There was only so much we could do in that moment, but we usually handed them a business card for the Service Center before we parted ways. Since the Center already has some emergency services and is working to get a housing placement project going, it was really nice to know that we could send them somewhere that was equipped to help them out.

Doing outreach was probably the highlight of my workweek, and I’m really looking forward to doing it again next week now that I know what it’s all about.

Otherwise, I’ve just been spending most of my time being in love with Chicago. I’m totally still in the “new city honeymoon” phase of my relocation. But so far I’ve been very impressed with this Illinois city. I can take a bus pretty much anywhere and there’s actually places that stay open past 9:00 pm. The people here are really fascinating too, and by that I mean that there are so. Many. Hipsters. They are everywhere, riding their bikes and wearing their jorts. I’m not sure if Chicagoians are aware of their hipsterness or if it’s the way the city is, but I’m a fan.

One this I’ve really loved so far is running in the city. When I lived in St. Louis, I picked running routes that I knew already from having been in those areas thousands of times. While the familiarity was nice, it got boring quickly, which meant I had to make an effort to switch it up or just not run. More often than not I went with the later. But everything is still fresh and new in Chicago. There’s always something new to see or people to watch, even if I run the same way everyday. Plus, I discovered the other day (mostly by accident) that if I make myself run far enough I can run on the trail next to Lake Michigan. It’s such a scenic route that I find myself upping my mileage just so I can run there. Talk about killer motivation.

I’m also still a big fan of the girls in my community. I really lucked out in that department. I love my job, but it’s been a joy this week to come home and chat with my housemates. We’ve even made dinner together a few nights, which is a good way to start because I’m fairly positive we won’t still be friends once I have to cook for my house on my own. That being said, if anyone out there has some fool proof, cheap and tasty recipes they want to send my way, I am more than open to that.

All and all, things remain awesome here. I eventually hope to see this blog turn into a platform for stories and other fun things and less of a play by play of every day of my week. I wish I had something more exciting to write about at this point, but hey, I've got a whole year here. Something's bound to happen eventually. 

Thanks for reading. Keep being awesome (who ever you are). 

No comments:

Post a Comment